Take Over 1. São Paulo: Larousse, 2010.
This book is part of a three-volume collection designed for English students in their final years of secondary school (Ensino Médio) in Brazil.
This collection has been approved by the Brazilian Programa Nacional do Livro Didático [Textbook National Programme] 2012.
Orienting this book is the assumption that learners need to take control of their learning process if they want to achieve positive results. The objective of Take Over is therefore to guide English learners not only in their processes of developing English knowledge and skills to facilitate their access to the world of information and work, but also in their development of autonomous learning, critical thinking and sense of citizenship. The development of learner strategies is also a key factor in the conceptualization of this book.
Take Over 1 was written for the first year in Ensino Médio in Brazil and contains 8 units around the following themes:
- Sounds, words and meanings
- Choosing a career
- Our past, our present
- Very good ideas
- The future is around the corner
- R U OK? Communicating in today’s world
- Fitness for all
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
Each unit is organised around the following sections:
- In Context: contextualization of the unit’s topic
- In Power: introduction of main reading strategy presented in the unit
- In Action: main reading text, followed by comprehension activities
- Further Action: further opportunities to practice reading strategies and develop critical thinking
- In Focus: vocabulary learning and practice
- In Use: gramar learning and practice
- In Synch: connections between the theme of the unit and new technologies such as websites, e-mail, blogs etc.
- Integrating: language skills development (listening, speaking, writing)
- In Charge: reading task for autonomous work
Supplementary materials include additional reading, listening, writing and speaking activities; hints for strategy application and development; lists of discourse markers, irregular verbs and phrasal verbs; audioscript, answer key, glossary, suggestions for further reading and bibliography.
For more information click here.