Como Ouvir Melhor Inglês – Estratégias 4 // São Paulo: DISAL, 2013.
Written in Portuguese, the series Estratégias (Strategies) presents and discusses procedures that can facilitate the learning and use of the English language in its four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking).
The series is written for those with different levels of proficiency in English: those with a lower proficiency level may learn about ways of dealing with spoken and written communication more effectively; those with a higher proficiency level (including teachers of English) can find both theoretical information and practical suggestions that may help enhance their teaching of learner strategies.
This volume – Como ouvir melhor em inglês – is the fourth volume in the series and it focuses on listening strategies. Each of the 40 listening strategies presented in the book is organised as follows:
- Presentation of a listening situation that poses a challenge for the listener
- Discussion of the listening strategy more generally and also in relation to its application in the listening situation
- Exercises for further practice of the strategy in focus
- Suggestions for supplementary activities
Some of the strategies presented in this book are:
- Getting ready to listen
- Listening for a general idea
- Making inferences about about is heard
- Formulating and verifying hypotheses about what is heard
- Paying attention to non-verbal language while listening
The following audio accompanies Strategy 16, "Inferindo o sentido de vocabulário desconhecido":
→ In Brazil, the book can be purchased directly from the publisher or from major bookshops or distributors.