Como Ler Melhor Inglês – Estratégias 1 // São Paulo: DISAL, 2011.
Written in Portuguese, the series Estratégias (Strategies) presents and discusses procedures that can facilitate the learning and use of the English language in its four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking).
The series is written for those with different levels of proficiency in English: those with a lower proficiency level may learn about ways of dealing with spoken and written communication more effectively; those with a higher proficiency level (including teachers of English) can find both theoretical information and practical suggestions that may help enhance their teaching of learner strategies.
This volume – Como ler melhor em inglês – focuses on reading strategies. Each of the 40 reading strategies presented in the book is organised as follows:
- Presentation of a reading situation that poses a challenge for the reader
- Discussion of the reading strategy more generally and also in relation to its application in the reading situation
- Exercises for further practice of the strategy in focus
- Suggestions for supplementary activities
Some of the strategies presented in this book are:
- Reading a text quickly for general understanding (skimming)
- Reading a text for specific information (scanning)
- Identifying the textual genre and understanding its characteristics
- Using world knowledge in order to understand unknown vocabulary
- Observing discourse markers to understand the text structure
→ In Brazil, the book can be purchased directly from the publisher or from major bookshops or distributors.